Our garden shed was the same as most, a dumping ground with no proper place for anything that was supposed to be in there and a lot of space being taken up by stuff that wasn’t supposed to be in there.
Although the output from this post benefits my model railway stuff, the subject is actually the jig. The Frem0n30 UK group require legs to hold the modules up at the same height and the easiest way of ensuring that happens is to supply them.
Using a jig that I constructed last night from bits of wood in the shed, we have this afternoon reduced the depth of all the Tim Horn board kits in stock to 4″ from 6″, or 100mm from 150mm in modern money.
I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to use the router, among other tools, and the overwhelming impression I got was that more could be done quicker and safer by mounting the router in a table.
Due to the usual Paint & Finish Department being unavailable, it fell to the rank amateur to seal, prime, undercoat and gloss the four drawers. Done outside in the baking sun, they dried very quickly, but not before bugs had alighted and stuck in the wet paint!
Having designed the drawers roughly, both on paper and in my head, and purchased the wood, the next stage was cutting it all out. As the four drawers are all to be the same, I decided to make the first drawer a kit of parts, and use jigs for assembly.
Having completed the assembly of the sides some time ago, and my fabulous Paint & Finish Department having top-coated them in situ, it was high-time that the void between them was filled with shelves! The top one is to be fixed, the other four to slide out.
Having left the completed sides in the cupboard for a couple of weeks to stabilise, it was time to add some primer and undercoat. That meant that both sides had to take the trip back down the stairs, through the back door and out into the garden, only to come back again. I suppose I […]
After cutting all the pieces for the sides, it was time for a test assembly, or dry fit as I believe they call it in the trade. Each side consisted of two stiles, front and back, plus five stretchers, one for each of the shelves.