Progress on the modules has been slow, for which read non-existent. With the looming date of the Seaboard Southern show in September, at which these are expected to not only appear but be operational, it’s high time to extract the digit!
Erik’s been incredibly patient, his test track not being particularly testing. However, work has now begun on the centre board, on which the points and sidings will sit. Some of the sidings will cross the joins onto the outer boards but, in test track mode, this will just provide track on which to sit rolling […]
The wiring on Erik’s layout was not what was originally planned, implemented solely to facilitate an operating session. Sure, it worked, but it could not be described as robust. It has therefore been completely replaced and Erik assisted with the tasks.
Flushed with the success of the straight boards, it was time to tackle the corner boards. As a precaution, which proved to be unnecessary, the sides were thoroughly wetted and bent, in the hope that they wouldn’t crack or split during assembly.
Well, today was one of those dry days and, between two of us, the four board kits were assembled. Tim Horn‘s instructions were not specific to the boards ordered but only because they’d been modified to include the Frem0n30 endplates. However, such is the quality of his kits that instructions really aren’t necessary.
After a three-month hiatus, it was decided that the Christmas period would be an ideal opportunity to make some more progress on Erik’s railway. So we invited Brian round for lunch and got cracking!
As mentioned previous, I’d started soldering feeder wires, often referred to as droppers, but I only got eight pieces of track finished before I packed it all away, and there it stayed!
Having acquired two 100m rolls of wire 10/0.1mm, one with red insulation, the other black, at a clearance price from Kyte’s Lights at the Woking REC show on Saturday, I’ve started to solder dropper wires from each of the pieces of track so that power supply is not reliant on just the rail joiners.
As the sun was setting, and having found some Polycell Crack-free Ceilings paint in the back of the shed, the undersides of the boards were painted white, not only to seal them including the softwood but also to make seeing stuff underneath, like wiring, that much easier.