Well, today was one of those dry days and, between two of us, the four board kits were assembled. Tim Horn‘s instructions were not specific to the boards ordered but only because they’d been modified to include the Frem0n30 endplates. However, such is the quality of his kits that instructions really aren’t necessary.
The first job was to separate out the various kits of parts so that we had four piles of bits, two for corner boards and two for straight ones. Each kit comprised two ends, two sides, a top, three stretchers, three braces and two fascia covers.
All of these were laser-cut so required no fettling, as a dry run proved. A quick wipe with an emery board on each joint just to ease them to make room for the glue. I used Titebond wood glue as it has a slightly better grab and shorter drying time than ordinary PVA glues.
We started with the straight boards, these being even more straight forward and obviously assembled than the corner ones. After quickly cleaning up each joint, a full dry assembly was carried out, and it went without a hitch.
After disassembling, the frame was glued together in the order suggested by the instructions, then the top was added. This has the added effect, due to the laser-cut alignment tongues, of ensuring that the whole thing sets up square and true. We did check the diagonals anyway but it was totally unnecessary!
The only real modification that we made to the boards was to lay inch-wide slug tape in two parallel strips on the underside of the top to create a power bus without having to run cables later.
The final step was to run a fillet of glue along all of the internal joints and tidy it up with a damp rag. A quick wipe of glue over the external joints holes as well to fill up the holes and then leave it all to dry.